Default Dr Cookes Bitless Bridle

TBT1
    Hi everyone I'm from UK and have just started using a Dr Cookes on my horse, just wondered if anyone over here has tried it.

That is a subject of huge debate.
    Me personally, never tried one.
    But, looking at the design and understanding the mechanics of the horse, it's main function is to apply pressure in certain points that effect nuerological pathways.
    Ok- That sounds really technical. In easier terms.
    It works the same way as applying a twitch or holding your horses nose to restrain him.

Nope, Jackson't not ready for one yet. Eventually it'd be nice to have the option of bitless though. I've read that a hackamore/sidepull can rub the hair off of the face and cause issues because of the constant pressure on very sensitive areas, is it the same w/a Dr Cookes?

Hmmm... I use mechanical hackamores and my brother uses sidepulls on the ranch he works at. There aren't any parts that cause constant pressure or hair rubs, if they are fitted correctly. Was it maybe a bosal hackamore??
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. Eleven-hundred pounds of raw muscle, sweat, grace, and power between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster. ~ Quarters & Paints for sale PM Me for info!

Possibly. I checked out Dr Cooks Bitless and it looks really interesting, I'd never seen it before.

Crissie, I'd be interested to hear how it works for you!

I've never tried one i use a hackamore but my friend rides her Tenn Walker in one and he does great in it. She is very happy with it.

Lourie

I've been slowly working my way through all the threads on the forum.

I have just been looking at the Dr Cook's bitless bridle and have been thinking about trying it and then I found this thread.
    I was thinking of trying it on a 4 yr old pony that my daughter will soon be riding. I am going to long rein the pony first and get to know her a little, then I will sit my daughter on her and lead rein for a while. I don't want my daughter to be pulling at the pony's mouth and that's why I thought about a bitless bridle. The pony belongs to a friend who will be driving her and I don't want the pony's mouth to be affected.
    I suppose my main concern is where the pressure is placed on the horse's head. I used to use a 'Be Nice' halter so I know about that ( I did take a Monty Roberts course many years ago where the 'Be Nice' was part of the training). I find the 'Be Nice' quite severe if you don't know how to use it. So, is it going to be severe if a little rider yanks on the reins? If I still rode myself (which I don't), I would try it out on another horse first. But where I am (out in the bush, miles away from anyone) there are no other equestrian people that I know to try it out for me.

Although I guess I could long rein the pony first in the bitless bridle - that's a thought.

The bridle only has the cross over straps underneath the jaw and not the studded pole strap so it's not totally like a 'Be Nice'.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received. The more I learn about horses the less I seem to know!
    Here is the link - Bitless Bridle UK - Dr Cooks Bitless Bridle™ - information, research, articles for horse-owners, feedback & user's comments
    Many thanks,
    Rosalind.

I do plan on purchasing one of these at some stage to try it out with long reins on a pony.
    From what I read, horses/ponies take to it well. But I don't actually personally know anyone that is using one of these so I guess I'll have to wait to try it out myself.
    When I do, I'll let you know. But if you get to try it out first, let me know how you get on - I'd be very interested!

Do any of you know about using a bitless bridle for English riding versus Western riding? I am not familiar with bitless bridles . . . I am used to light-but-constant pressure in English riding, and loose neck reining in Western riding. Does bitless work in both disciplines?
    The International Equestrian Festival is going to be amazing. YOU should come!!
    Facebook: http://tiny.cc/7fWBj
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/IEF2010

www.horsecapitalproductions.com

Default Dr. Cookes bitless

Quote Originally Posted by IkeE View Post
    Do any of you know about using a bitless bridle for English riding versus Western riding? I am not familiar with bitless bridles . . . I am used to light-but-constant pressure in English riding, and loose neck reining in Western riding. Does bitless work in both disciplines?
    Hello, I just wanted to say that yes , I use a Dr. Cookes bitless and am extremely satisfied with it, and more importantly so are my horses. I recently bought a big , beautiful eight year old warm blood, I recently took her into a dressage show and rode her with a bit for a week before hand just to make sure she could still respond successfully, of course she did , but I was so glad to get her back into the Dr. Cookes, she performs so much better in it. I am hoping that next year they will be allowed in the dressage arena, it's about time . I also know people who ride Western Pleasure that are thrilled with it. They do not work in the same principle as side pulls, no pressure to the face, they are kinder and so much more fair to your horse, try it , I can guarentee you will never go back to a bit

I have never used a bitless bridle personally, but I sold an arabian gelding years ago that she switched to a bitless and he REALLY liked it. Showed much softer and willing.
    Horses For Sale - Equispot Free Horse Classifieds

TBB2
    Thanks for the useful information! I helped your advice!
    mylordtaylor.com login
    Last edited by owlsarepretty95; 06-06-2017 at .